4 posters

Go down

battle of bungus tournament Empty battle of bungus tournament

Post by Mac B June 27th 2018, 1:20 am

3 teams of two
the kamikazes: spinny and oaky
the dwarf kingdom: stalin and epoch
the mahonkan empire: me and mega
(i think this is a pretty balanced matchup but of course discussion of change is open)

here's how i think we should do this
since it would only be like 2 matches if we went with just straight matches, this has to be divided into rounds
what i'm thinking, 3 rounds - each round composed of 3 matches
the best 2 out of 3 of each round wins the round
the best 2 out of 3 rounds wins the tournament
in the event of a tie in a round (every team in a round wins once), a deathmatch is done for the tie breaker - whoever wins the deathmatch wins the round.

in the event of a tie for the tournament, i may have a special plan for that - maybe a scenario, maybe one person of the team represents their team.

either way, each match will be a hand crafted scenario/custom map event
this can range from traditional to specific scenario events - i plan for something like for each round has 2 traditional matches and one wildcard/event match - something like a home defense or a king of the hill scenario type deal. each match's contenders will simply be determined as follows; teams are randomly paired until all combinations are exhausted, example:

kamikazes vs the mahonkan empire
dwarf kingdom vs kamikazes
mahonkan empire vs dwarf kingdom

I considered making the rounds composed of 4 matches so each one would end in an all out match between the 3 teams in a 2v2v2 but this exists already in tie events, and can be incorporated into, say a bonus match at the end of the tournament

either way the entire tournament will be comprised of, in an ideal world, 9 matches (assuming there are no ties), or a max of 13 matches (assuming each round is a tie and the tournament ends in a tie)
the maps will use the bungusmod data set, and the tournament itself can officially be used to gauge the meta of bungusmod in general
for the tournament i will be making some fixes and nerfs to the mod, and i as well as epoch and anyone else who wants to pitch in, will be making custom maps - i intend for these maps to be peer vetted so as to not give any obvious advantages to any one team, but that shouldnt be necessary in the first place

the winners probably get a "have you seen this man" t shirt, if not they get a steam game or something. whats a tournament without stakes?

Last edited by Mac B on July 20th 2018, 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mac B
Mac B
CASIO MT220

volume of testosterone : 213331

Back to top Go down

battle of bungus tournament Empty Re: battle of bungus tournament

Post by Mac B June 27th 2018, 3:10 pm

i was thinking

each round

first match: traditional conquest game, no gimmick to the map

second match: settlements - each player starts with a walled, lightly fortified town on the opposite sides of the map, with a small military and economy.

third match: custom event - king of the hill, regicide, or any unique events we come up with

deathmatches in ties will be settled on random maps
Mac B
Mac B
CASIO MT220

Back to top Go down

Post by him June 27th 2018, 7:22 pm

im not quite sure the teams are balanced quite right as spinny and seth on the same team is quite fair because id say spinny and mac arent evenly matched but at this point its really close, so maybe split those two up? idk

also damn was hoping to have mega on my team lmao

either way, how will the custom events go down? as in the ones we create ourselves. will the map creator be allowed to play in their own map, or will it be reserved for the other two teams to duke it out in for absolute 'fairness'?

will the maps be reviewed by the playing teams before hand or go in blind with just a summary of the objectives?

also im going full tryhard for that shirt so prepare yourselves im pulling no punches
him
him
Praetorian of Liberty

volume of testosterone : 300334
Location : 100 FT UNDER THE WATER CUZ FLORIDA IS LEEETERULLY SINKING!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac B June 27th 2018, 8:43 pm

guardianofrapeyniggos wrote:either way, how will the custom events go down? as in the ones we create ourselves. will the map creator be allowed to play in their own map, or will it be reserved for the other two teams to duke it out in for absolute 'fairness'?
given the relatively small nature of the tournament it seems inevitable that some maps will be played by their creators, it'd just be too slow to have drawings per round and make the maps per that information so as to avoid the possibility.

as long the map maker makes it as even/fair as possible, with the idea that they're not going to play on it, rather two teams of unknown civs, then there shouldnt be much of a map maker's advantage - you could say that the map maker will know where all the resources are but the resource distribution should be about even anyways, and furthermore the maps will be made days, even weeks before theyre actually played on so it wouldnt be easy to memorize the maps that way

this is how i intend to go about it, similar to how i was gonna do the rise of nations tournament in the mapmaking process;
the actual map would be made, terrain, resources, player bases etc
at this point the playable slots would all be a default civ

when the players are drawn (example dwarf kingdom vs mahonkan empire), ill go in to the map and in put their civs and colors and what not and save the playable tournament version, then it can be played accordingly

virtually every map will be custom (unless it proves to be too time consuming in which case only the second and third matches each round will be)

guardianofbigbungos wrote:will the maps be reviewed by the playing teams before hand or go in blind with just a summary of the objectives?
in the map making process it'd serve well to have some manner of peer vetting to ensure nothing unfair is being implemented, so say i make a map, i get you, mega, or oaky to check it for any flaws/unfair advantages - so most players will have vetted a map in some way and will likely play on some map that they're familiar with like that (alternatively the vetting could be more privatized to avoid one player having more map knowledge for having vetted the map), but overall in the actual tournament "go in blind with just a summary of the objectives" is what i intend. have to have some aspect of discovery to it

guardianofgeraldarnos wrote:also im going full tryhard for that shirt so prepare yourselves im pulling no punches
r.i.p us

guardianofguardiansofthegalaxy wrote:im not quite sure the teams are balanced quite right as spinny and seth on the same team is quite fair because id say spinny and mac arent evenly matched but at this point its really close, so maybe split those two up? idk
i was thinking something like that too
i tried matching up to even out the skill between the players (which is why i paired you with stalin) but it is ambiguous - the spinny and oaky team are pretty similar in skill as well as me and mega. id put me and mega on a similar level but im a step above him, same with oaky being a step above spinny - still spinny and oaky on the same team would probably have a better net skill than me and megas team
im of course open to hear different match ups
Mac B
Mac B
CASIO MT220

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac B July 16th 2018, 2:34 pm

made the first settlements map

ill be making another map today but i might sit on making another settlements one even though theyre my favorite kind to make, so it'll either be an event map or a basic open one - more likely the latter
Mac B
Mac B
CASIO MT220

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac B July 16th 2018, 2:42 pm

oh yeah the map crashes so if i cant fix that then we're just gonna go ahead and do it all on random maps
Mac B
Mac B
CASIO MT220

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac B July 16th 2018, 2:43 pm

probably better at that point honestly so we can get this done before august but ill still be looking into it to see compatability fixes
Mac B
Mac B
CASIO MT220

Back to top Go down

Post by Total "Chad" July 17th 2018, 5:56 pm

yo what about me nigga
Total
Total "Chad"
Grand Mac Daddy Big Mac

volume of testosterone : 155850

http://www.otthunderdome.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac B July 17th 2018, 8:01 pm

you gotta sign up with your dad
Mac B
Mac B
CASIO MT220

Back to top Go down

Post by Total "Chad" July 18th 2018, 5:00 pm

yo bet i got 20 vbucks
Total
Total "Chad"
Grand Mac Daddy Big Mac

volume of testosterone : 155850

http://www.otthunderdome.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by salty July 19th 2018, 10:29 pm

i object to my team's name
salty
salty
STILL UNSTOPPABLE

volume of testosterone : 293647

http://www.otthunderdome.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac B July 20th 2018, 2:34 pm

objection noted. team renamed to the kamikazes.
Mac B
Mac B
CASIO MT220

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac B July 21st 2018, 6:34 pm

i've finished 2 maps and to my knowledge epoch has finished one
so that would be 3 out of 9 maps
(there are still some things to tweak about the maps i made not including the natural pre-game changes like changing civs and shit)
we could assuming we have everybody in go ahead and do round one
Mac B
Mac B
CASIO MT220

Back to top Go down

Post by him July 22nd 2018, 1:30 pm

i made another map last night but im contemplating adding it or not cuz its just another skirmish map
i was intending to do 2 skirmish maps and 2 objective maps but i think i might do 3 objective maps
him
him
Praetorian of Liberty

volume of testosterone : 300334
Location : 100 FT UNDER THE WATER CUZ FLORIDA IS LEEETERULLY SINKING!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac B July 22nd 2018, 2:04 pm

what do u mean by skirmish map
Mac B
Mac B
CASIO MT220

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content