mac b's magnificent drum synth prototype 1

3 posters

Go down

mac b's magnificent drum synth prototype 1 Empty mac b's magnificent drum synth prototype 1

Post by Mac B May 29th 2016, 9:56 am

over the past... roughly 12 inconsecutive hours (probably a little under half of that actually putting in to work and not chillin lol) ive went hard on reaktor and am now making a drum synth
entroducing;

screenies :

so basically i had this outright awesome idea to make a drum synth so i started.
started off with a simple-ass one saw osc poly synth, fucked around and replaced the saw with a noise gen, put in envelopes for the noise amp and filter, then threw in a bunch of other significant daily oscs (such as the noble sine wave for subs on dem kikz, pulse for a partial on tom/perc sounds, and saw because i fucking could) and replaced the lpf with a multi filter, then of course added a good ol waveshaper
the noise filter initially had 4 settings, -white noise -pink noise - color noise -808. white noise of course unfiltered, pink which is basically several lowpass filter frequencies played at different volumes which makes for a smooth deep soundin noise, color which is some finnicky kinda frequency exponentation that i didnt look at much, and of course being an imitated 808 sound in these respective orders.
after i made those dank ass 22 presets (and one for testing) i got to work fucking with the noise osc more
which produced the following additional 4;
8G8
detuned and off-frequency version of the 808 imitation, a "broken" 808 if you will
KFM/Dink Filter
Keytracked Frequency Modulation - Basically a matrixed up pink filter with an invisible lfo which acts as both a cutoff mod for high frequencies and a keytracker in a bandpass-notch style filter, the way in which the frequencies are handled and modulated produces a pitched noise relative to whichever key is being pressed and a slight doppler effect on the high shelf frequencies
BLG
Another broken 808 model, replacing every pulse wave with an fm pulse  and effectively circuit bending it. unfiltered it produces a nasty-ass sound comparative to a fm error... because it is.

NCAP
Needlessly Complex Analogue Pulse
A short subbed keytracked pulse sound with a band-reject style nigger rigged filter covering the noise which is made to be double the time of the pulse itself. used for noise perc sounds or some shit.

looking back at what ive accomplished now i see its flaws and have a better approach to this, if not somewhat simpler in nature. [in a way that it doesn't utterly crud up the fucking panel menu.]
once I get a good fashioned stable build made of it, i'll try to turn it in to a full on virtual drum machine.
however if that is so, itt is a long ways down the road as i fucking suck at midi programming.
i can make a cheap little one with samples and no appeal whatsoever but that's as far as it goes -- i have no idea how to make a system where a a different osc is triggered on different notes.
this is going to kick ass, though.

editorial note;
while the dink filter works as described, it is still being extended and somewhat incomplete
Mac B
Mac B
CASIO MT220

volume of testosterone : 213331

Back to top Go down

mac b's magnificent drum synth prototype 1 Empty Re: mac b's magnificent drum synth prototype 1

Post by Mac B June 4th 2016, 7:13 pm

building next prototype over the course of this night
going to be mainly focused on building the oscillators and making them compact

dual oscillator
it's gonna be like 2 oscillator channels but both have the same extensive shit (Pulse, Saw, Sine/Parabol, White Noise, Pink Noise, 808, etc...) so you could like, easily mesh an 808 sound with a sine for subs

wml
Mac B
Mac B
CASIO MT220

Back to top Go down

mac b's magnificent drum synth prototype 1 Empty Re: mac b's magnificent drum synth prototype 1

Post by Mac B June 4th 2016, 8:07 pm

Right off the bat, there's something substantially fucked up with the pulse osc and the multimode filter is finnicky (basically if the res is abit higher than the cutoff it doesn't stop howling)
Have no clue what could be messing with the pulse. The amp env seems to be acting just fine so it can't be that. The pw sounds like it works normally but there's only so much diagnosis you can do with that when it sounds like it's being played at an unreasonably low octave and being bitcrushed... I would say it sounds as if the amp were being modulated by noise but when I in fact do that is sounds better, to my surprise.
Actually come to thing of it, it sounds normal, but with noise dominating the sound...
I wonder if having it played through a carrier pulse would fix it.
This is very odd, I've had nothing like this issue with the first prototype. The only thing that's actually been done differently is grouping the oscs in the same macro (as stated) but they're still provided with the settings they'd normally have.
Hoping this doesn't become the focus. Gonna get a freq analyzer up in this bitch.
Mac B
Mac B
CASIO MT220

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac B June 4th 2016, 8:56 pm

you know that thing i was talking about about the pulse sounding obscenely low
well thats pretty much it
i put a constant on the pitch and bam
to make this functional despite it already messing with the flow a bit with the other oscs I'm gonna have to put a little pitch knob on it.
That is, after all, what I did for the previous prototype, though it was still capable of keytracked pitch... hell it's a drum synth. it's not like i'm going to be using this as a particularly melodic instrument.
also the waveform for the pulse looks fucking weird under scopes. like, nothing at all what a square should look like from sound but I guess that's just the distortion.

yikes ive been going for almost two hours. Time to take a break.
Mac B
Mac B
CASIO MT220

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac B June 6th 2016, 6:48 pm

so i forgot where i left off on this post but the 2nd prototype is effectively complete

I messed with the cutoff inputs on some things that had to do with the filters and that fixed the issue
I added a switch for pitch by either knob or keys (I was actually pretty proud of thinking of this and carrying it out), so like, for whichever pitch enabled osc (most of them that aren't literally noise-- and even some noise) you can switch it to like play the pitch via midi keys or a knob... (lmao redundancy much)
For some oscs this makes pretty useful and especially for sfx shit.

Lets see what was in the first prototype... Ah, 8 oscs as opposed to
24 now
most the basic shit and some neat fm and pulse driven shit all in basically one master osc -- and there's two of them. 2 master oscs, each with 24 uh, oscs. About 4-8 more experimental as fuck ones by yours truly as well, I'll list these later in this post.
I've also added two scopes for monitoring the waves n shit (duehh), the left being the oscs combined by their lonesome, before the filter and any waveshaping, the other being the final output.
Making all those simply outstanding oscillators fit in of course more controls had to be added, for pitch (as stated), frequency, pw and what have you.

Also I should note that by hooking up the pulse to my fucking amazing pitch switch -- It fixed it!
It can now keytrack with ease as well as sounding hard as fuck flat.

of course, I also made roughly the same # of presets as last time.

Alright now here's the screenshots and absurd experimental oscs and such.

THE MACHINATION IN ACTION:

THE OUTER HULL:

THE MASTER OSCILLATOR:

MAC B'S WACKY MACROS:
Mac B
Mac B
CASIO MT220

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Mac B June 6th 2016, 7:11 pm

boy you bet your pippy itll win
ive been making sound since the birth of sin

audio demo coming soon too btw
Mac B
Mac B
CASIO MT220

Back to top Go down

Post by salty June 7th 2016, 10:49 am

this is neat
salty
salty
STILL UNSTOPPABLE

volume of testosterone : 293647

http://www.otthunderdome.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac B June 7th 2016, 11:20 am

thanks!
Mac B
Mac B
CASIO MT220

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down