Fine Alien (Documentation of my Long-Term Sound Design Project)

4 posters

Go down

Fine Alien (Documentation of my Long-Term Sound Design Project) Empty Fine Alien (Documentation of my Long-Term Sound Design Project)

Post by Mac B October 17th 2015, 4:28 pm

lss im fucking awesome at making sounds (usually of the musical breed)
since i had to retype this introduction three times i wont press the detail
gonna start making big $$$ off this shit after a few titular and publicity block releases (that and producing for the local fucks)
contacted loopmasters and I am now doing a bigass sample pack for them (don't tell them that! ; ] )
it's rooty in my xo genre

pretty much im gonna list what ive made , a little how ive made it (but not me whole secret formula)
started this sample pack a little last week, continuing it here in my old studio where i am not currently present - dont have everything but enough to work with, will double up when I get back.

this pack will consist of, as I proposed, 'drum kits, breaks, synth hits, basslines, grooves, and presets for Tone2 and NI vsts"
and i'm pretty much working in that order

forenot; i have a personal mass pack of random shit and personal sound designs -- when I do a pack to be released I do fresh and for the purpose, not shit i did munfs ago

today i made
2 nonspefic perc sounds
11 snares
4 kicks/bassdrums
5 closed hats
1 clap

Made the kicks using IL's bassdrum modeler with some stacking and a send-fx filter movement on one
Snares were made using two neato virtual-analog synths, one (that I primarily used) had a bitchin' noise mod that blended with the base oscs pretty well-- a lot of fucking with it's fm and ring mods, and some waveshaping (makes a sweet-nasty sound)

Hats came from me seeing how i could fuck with key sounds, mostly really short envelopes and bitcrushes - goes surprisingly well for purpose

The unsorted percs are a kick and a snare gone wrong,
Clap was p much the same thing

Aint too used to making drum hits yet
Ill get the hang of it

~10-17-15~
Mac B
Mac B
CASIO MT220

volume of testosterone : 213331

Back to top Go down

Fine Alien (Documentation of my Long-Term Sound Design Project) Empty Re: Fine Alien (Documentation of my Long-Term Sound Design Project)

Post by Mac B October 18th 2015, 11:44 am

minor update;
claps are challenging in themselves
trying to make sure they don't sound too much like the snares and boy is it a pickle trying to achieve that
putting a dubby delay on it seems to help but eh not doing too many favors
i get the feeling it would be easier if i were to do it in fm8 but ive already started my challenge
gotten better at making muh kicks too : ]
Mac B
Mac B
CASIO MT220

Back to top Go down

Fine Alien (Documentation of my Long-Term Sound Design Project) Empty Re: Fine Alien (Documentation of my Long-Term Sound Design Project)

Post by Mac B October 18th 2015, 5:06 pm

Claps 2-11 were vastly experimental,
testing different (hypothetical) methods, and thus sound a couple twigs different from eachother. Clap 6, although, sounds less like a clap and more like a tom mixed with a snare.
These were tried with two different (primary) methods in mind, a short noise hit with a variable delay, and a gradually decayed noise hit with a synced lfo for the noise volume, and of course some combination of both.
Depending on the lfo timing and shape, it'd either made it a) a little more convincing or b) similar to that of a delay. The latter was usually found when using fairly lq waspy-type synths.

The delay experiments were focused on using an external delay or the one built in to the synth. (No wasps here : [ )
I suppose some of the delay modules built in clashed with the sound somehow, as using external mods produced ore viable results, at least to what I was looking for.
A close 1/16 delay gave enough for purpose but wasn't perfect. Some leaned more towards a snare in this instance, but I suppose mych of that had to do with the noise color or whatever.

I didn't perfecto the formuioli until the 12th or 13th clap --
The trick is a good sized decay, vol lfo to make two peaks (depends on the decay of course), usually a band pass or hi-cut lp (really any filter works), delays can help but not really needed, and most importantly, fatten that shit B)
(clap 14 made pretty by it's low end moist fuzzy dist + guitar amp sim dist ... didnt think it wd work did u? )

Also made some kicks earlier
Not enough to report on though.
Tomorrow I will be focusing on them. That and open hats.

~10-18-15~
Mac B
Mac B
CASIO MT220

Back to top Go down

Post by Total "Chad" October 19th 2015, 7:56 am

Mac b goes to hell to fuck the devil new album
Total
Total "Chad"
Grand Mac Daddy Big Mac

volume of testosterone : 155850

http://www.otthunderdome.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac B October 24th 2015, 8:04 am

"
Mac b goes to hell to fuck the devil new album"
bb thats just how i get my lyrics ;]

update
since the last update, ive had an incremental boost in productivity, likely cause I figured this shit out
Long story short and put in bullets

• Kicks/bassdrums work gud at low octaves (obv) with the cutoff and/or volume hooked to an envelope similar to a snare's -- sinewaves are good for base (npi) but i twist that shit.
• fuzz on fuzz on fuzz

• Closed hats are like shorter snares with a higher pitch, open hats are slightly longer open hats with a touch of ring mod

• a good way of not wasting time is putting "failed experiments in the everpresent "perc"/"fxperc" label.

• a synth with a good, tone-y noise gen is the shit for making drum sounds
• ty Tremor

• using sequenced retrigs, shufflers, bitcrushers, and modulator fx are good for glitch hop style shit (which is good cause "anal glitch funk" is the basis of this pack)

some spins
• low end/dry-ish distortion is good for fattening lighter sounds, increase the deeper you go
•ty based MDE-X
•layering two fx sequencers can produce some twisted nasty shit : ]
• hooking an lfo to the drive of whatever distortion module you're using works good on claps n snares, d'pendin on the clock.
a little offbeat is best with it.

Mac B
Mac B
CASIO MT220

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac B October 25th 2015, 5:19 am

yesterday's update was for the collective previous week
by yesterday night, I had around 11 more claps,
13 fx percs and kicks, 6 open hats and 10 snares which more or less completes the collection of individual hits (aside from the percs) for now.
if i do anything today it'll be drum loops which i prefer to do at my "back-home" studio, which has geist, nerve and effectrix, which i had in mind planned to do so with this part
i guess i could draft up some groovebox-ey patches
Mac B
Mac B
CASIO MT220

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac B November 8th 2015, 11:16 am

si xty si x clap , snare , kick , closed hat , open hat , splash , and perc sounds along with thirty three bonus f x percus sounds in the perc folder

now experimenting with drum loop patterns n shit
got twelve in the pack and ten alt version s of them

eleven eight fifteen
Mac B
Mac B
CASIO MT220

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac B November 14th 2015, 10:02 am

i now have two sets of drum loops
thirty three of each
one set four bars , the other two
the four bar set has a subgroup of alt beats which are the same as the parent with hit omissions , fusions , effects and the like with a total of thirty three

the two bar set has a subgroup of the midi files of the loops as made in fpc

all drum loops have bpms within the ranges of one fourty , one fifty , one sixty , one sixty five , and one sixty six

I suppose I should now start the baselines

what i am conflicted with , though , is how i will go about making the grooves without simply fusing the loops and the baselines
Mac B
Mac B
CASIO MT220

Back to top Go down

Post by salty November 14th 2015, 11:13 am

wompy shlong patriarch
salty
salty
STILL UNSTOPPABLE

volume of testosterone : 293647

http://www.otthunderdome.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac B November 14th 2015, 11:19 am

when you're living in the west you're living in the best AYY BONANZA
Mac B
Mac B
CASIO MT220

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac B November 18th 2015, 3:25 pm

since made sixty six different baselines split into different styles of eight , each style containing four of two different bpms one forty and one sixty
there is a bonus subgroup containing thirty three glitche d and fused bass lines

uhhh now I'm gonna do synth hits and stabs
debating whether or not I should do synth loops
if i don't I'll do brass / honk ish type hits in place
Mac B
Mac B
CASIO MT220

Back to top Go down

Post by Level 23 Glonkmaster November 19th 2015, 3:33 pm

niggers beware
Level 23 Glonkmaster
Level 23 Glonkmaster

volume of testosterone : 78540

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac B November 24th 2015, 7:11 pm

oh yeah I finished this shit like three days ago
added thirty three bass hits , honk organ hits n loops , synth a rps and grooves
uhh won't go into detail cause ifls
whatever tired as fuck
done , made three demos , sent in to loop masters
at this point i don't even care if it's put out I'm just really glad I finished it

also two songs closer to the album being done in the writing process stage
uhhhb i really fuckin hope me n danny get shit done n well when he comes down for thanksgiving break
Mac B
Mac B
CASIO MT220

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down