him
cya
Mac B
alyaza
11 posters

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

what should i name my book

quantumbound general - Page 5 I_vote_lcap0%quantumbound general - Page 5 I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
quantumbound general - Page 5 I_vote_lcap0%quantumbound general - Page 5 I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
quantumbound general - Page 5 I_vote_lcap100%quantumbound general - Page 5 I_vote_rcap 100% 
[ 7 ]

Total Votes : 7

quantumbound general - Page 5 Empty Re: quantumbound general

Post by Mac B September 12th 2016, 9:06 pm

fd wrote:that's not a novel
even if it wasn't you still don't lol

kek wrote:if you think being better than readable fanfiction is a boast then slay me
you're not comparing yourself to fanfiction you're comparing yourself to actual novels dumbass
Mac B
Mac B
CASIO MT220

volume of testosterone : 213331

Back to top Go down

Post by george lucas September 12th 2016, 9:07 pm

Flamdini wrote:
samoyed wrote:wow flaming
you don't think you're being a little cocky
if you think most debut novels aren't written about as well as particularly decent fanfiction you're overestimating. how do you think the kids who write fanfiction and then go on to the big leagues transition? you think they go offline for a couple of years into their fortress of solitude and learn how to write? nope, that's not how writing works. most people's practice is english class, not writing short stories for their eyes only (this is literally the only other way i can think of to get better) because it's exhausting and pretty pointless.
if you think being better than readable fanfiction is a boast then slay me
people usually get better at something by doing it over and over and over for years recognizing their mistakes as they go and fixing them. fanfiction albeit kiddy is probably not a very bad place to get better at writing at if you have a decent critiquing community (though a lot of writing communities are shitty)
george lucas
george lucas
This brain is protected by

volume of testosterone : 54181

Back to top Go down

Post by Zilchexo September 12th 2016, 9:08 pm

keemstar wrote:books dont just become bestsellers if they're in a series i could write 30 novels about ava and nobody would give a damn if they weren't interesting or were poorly written

also you have no plan going forward with marketing and no agent to market your book

also im not alone in thinking this draft of your book needs a lot of revision work before it can become a decent novel
I'm talking crude statistics here, could be for any variety of reasons, like more confident authors, taking up more space in the bookstore, things like that.
I actually do have a plan with marketing and it involves manufacturing outrage about it by calling into conservative radio shows about it a la Sans 700 Club as well as maintaining an active presence in fandom spaces, and I have no agent because you're supposed to handle that after you're done with the book.
Then be more specific or don't complain.
Zilchexo
Zilchexo
Pedophile

volume of testosterone : -266157

Back to top Go down

Post by Zilchexo September 12th 2016, 9:12 pm

Brewmaster Mac wrote:
fd wrote:that's not a novel
even if it wasn't you still don't lol

kek wrote:if you think being better than readable fanfiction is a boast then slay me
you're not comparing yourself to fanfiction you're comparing yourself to actual novels dumbass
Can you please read next time? My argument is that there's little difference in between bad/debut novels and good fanfiction. There's not some transitory phase.
keemstar wrote:
Flamdini wrote:
samoyed wrote:wow flaming
you don't think you're being a little cocky
if you think most debut novels aren't written about as well as particularly decent fanfiction you're overestimating. how do you think the kids who write fanfiction and then go on to the big leagues transition? you think they go offline for a couple of years into their fortress of solitude and learn how to write? nope, that's not how writing works. most people's practice is english class, not writing short stories for their eyes only (this is literally the only other way i can think of to get better) because it's exhausting and pretty pointless.
if you think being better than readable fanfiction is a boast then slay me
people usually get better at something by doing it over and over and over for years recognizing their mistakes as they go and fixing them. fanfiction albeit kiddy is probably not a very bad place to get better at writing at if you have a decent critiquing community (though a lot of writing communities are shitty)
I've actually done a little bit of everything, fanfiction, essays of various importance, even lewds once, and I've daydreamed many an aborted idea, and in these experiences I learned how to write well (the former) and plot well (the latter and some of the former). That's why I think I'm not just some kid with a dream, I got highest marks on both Texas High School English placement tests and a 740 I think on the English SAT portion.
Zilchexo
Zilchexo
Pedophile

Back to top Go down

Post by george lucas September 12th 2016, 9:13 pm

Flamdini wrote:I actually do have a plan with marketing and it involves manufacturing outrage about it by calling into conservative radio shows about it a la Sans 700 Club
is this to say you're gonna generate negative attention for it?
george lucas
george lucas

Back to top Go down

Post by toby September 12th 2016, 9:17 pm

not sure how you got "lol writing books is easy" from "wow flaming you're being cocky" but ok
toby
toby
Toby

volume of testosterone : 117621

Back to top Go down

Post by Zilchexo September 12th 2016, 9:17 pm

keemstar wrote:
Flamdini wrote:I actually do have a plan with marketing and it involves manufacturing outrage about it by calling into conservative radio shows about it a la Sans 700 Club
Conservative radio show listeners would either never buy it or ask for a refund on page 10. It would create press and give liberals a reason to read it.
Zilchexo
Zilchexo
Pedophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zilchexo September 12th 2016, 9:20 pm

samoyed wrote:not sure how you got "lol writing books is easy" from "wow flaming you're being cocky" but ok
The insinuation is that there is a high enough bar for my book (or that my book is just low down with the rest of them) being better than at least 50% of debuts to be an opinion and not effectively a fact.
Zilchexo
Zilchexo
Pedophile

Back to top Go down

Post by salty September 12th 2016, 9:21 pm

a 740 on the SAT writing/english doesnt make you a god damn author op ESPECIALLY on a standardized test like the SAT where the length of your essay is directly correlated with your score (not on new SAT but the writing is just correcting egregious mistakes) and the reading is (still is even with the new SAT) just understanding passages
salty
salty
STILL UNSTOPPABLE

volume of testosterone : 293647

http://www.otthunderdome.com

Back to top Go down

Post by salty September 12th 2016, 9:21 pm

Flamdini wrote:
keemstar wrote:
Conservative radio show listeners would either never buy it or ask for a refund on page 10. It would create press and give liberals a reason to read it.
you are planning way too far ahead when you should focus on your novel
salty
salty
STILL UNSTOPPABLE

Back to top Go down

Post by Zilchexo September 12th 2016, 9:24 pm

oaky wrote:a 740 on the SAT writing/english doesnt make you a god damn author op ESPECIALLY on a standardized test like the SAT where the length of your essay is directly correlated with your score (not on new SAT but the writing is just correcting egregious mistakes) and the reading is (still is even with the new SAT) just understanding passages
True but it's at least a "certificate of not being a complete fuckass". In the final, published version of 50SoG there's actually lots of grammar errors, so I'm at least above that

oaky wrote:
Flamdini wrote:
keemstar wrote:
you are planning way too far ahead when you should focus on your novel
Good point but a) he asked and b) I literally had this idea like yesterday
Zilchexo
Zilchexo
Pedophile

Back to top Go down

Post by toby September 12th 2016, 9:25 pm

being able to pass a few easy exams and crap out an essay =/= being a good writer
toby
toby
Toby

Back to top Go down

Post by Zilchexo September 12th 2016, 9:31 pm

samoyed wrote:being able to pass a few easy exams and crap out an essay =/= being a good writer
then read it and draw your own conclusions
Zilchexo
Zilchexo
Pedophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac B September 13th 2016, 5:20 am

That's why I think I'm not just some kid with a dream, I got highest marks on both Texas High School English placement tests and a 740 I think on the English SAT portion.

tsk tsk if only test scores made authors
Mac B
Mac B
CASIO MT220

volume of testosterone : 213331

Back to top Go down

Post by toby September 13th 2016, 11:45 am

tfw you'd be a best selling author if getting high marks on lame exams determined your writing ability
toby
toby
Toby

Back to top Go down

Post by Zilchexo September 13th 2016, 1:02 pm

Flamdini wrote:
samoyed wrote:being able to pass a few easy exams and crap out an essay =/= being a good writer
then read it and draw your own conclusions
Zilchexo
Zilchexo
Pedophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zilchexo September 16th 2016, 8:13 pm

no news thus far but i just wanted to comment that eragon was shit and sold like 9 million because its publisher believed that it could be a best-seller, it had concept people wanted to read about, and its author was young

i found this article informative and encouraging,

so yeah unfortunately being a best seller has almost nothing to do with skill. there are many best sellers that are shit but very few great books that sold like shit. obviously a magnum opus getting 50,000 sales is a disappointment even if that's not 50sog's 50 million but they still both succeeded
Zilchexo
Zilchexo
Pedophile

Back to top Go down

Post by salty September 17th 2016, 9:11 am

Flamdini wrote:no news thus far but i just wanted to comment that eragon was shit and sold like 9 million because its publisher believed that it could be a best-seller, it had concept people wanted to read about, and its author was young

so yeah unfortunately being a best seller has almost nothing to do with skill. there are many best sellers that are shit but very few great books that sold like shit. obviously a magnum opus getting 50,000 sales is a disappointment even if that's not 50sog's 50 million but they still both succeeded
you have moved the goalposts from making a good book because youre an accomplished writer to making a popular book because youre young and your book is about a dragon
salty
salty
STILL UNSTOPPABLE

Back to top Go down

Post by george lucas September 17th 2016, 12:56 pm

what oaky said and it would also be up to a publisher to determine that
george lucas
george lucas

Back to top Go down

Post by toby September 17th 2016, 1:27 pm

being young =/= instantly being able to produce quality
toby
toby
Toby

Back to top Go down

Post by george lucas September 17th 2016, 1:32 pm

it's very frequently the opposite lol
george lucas
george lucas

Back to top Go down

Post by Zilchexo September 17th 2016, 3:55 pm

oaky wrote:
Flamdini wrote:no news thus far but i just wanted to comment that eragon was shit and sold like 9 million because its publisher believed that it could be a best-seller, it had concept people wanted to read about, and its author was young

you have moved the goalposts from making a good book because youre an accomplished writer to making a popular book because youre young and your book is about a dragon
i thought the argument was "your book isn't going to be a bestseller" not "your book isn't going to be good". i think my book can get a solid 4 on goodreads (which is a literary award of its own, but it might be horrible and i might be overencouraged, i'm not ruling that out
keemstar wrote:what oaky said and it would also be up to a publisher to determine that
yes it would be up to the publisher to determine if it's a success but generally the bar isn't very high
samoyed wrote:being young =/= instantly being able to produce quality
that wasn't my point its marketing and interest was banked heavily on the dweeb being 18
keemstar wrote:it's very frequently the opposite lol
that much is true
Zilchexo
Zilchexo
Pedophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zilchexo September 17th 2016, 4:02 pm

i'm thinking of using "the youngest published sci-fi novelist" and "the 8th youngest novelist" as attention-grabbers with like my publicist or whoever people fucking love world records even if they're overly narrow

if you're curious the others are gordon korman, the dual authors of the far-distant oxus, flavia bujor, alexandra adornetto, amelia atwater-rhodes, nancy yi fan and catherine webb
Zilchexo
Zilchexo
Pedophile

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Zilchexo September 17th 2016, 5:27 pm

not really eragon is shit and got a 3.8 because it's shit, swordbird was also shit and got 3.6, redwall got 1 4.1 because it's decent and tolkien gets about a 4.4 depending on the listing because his stuff is straight up good. there's a lot of people who 4-star or 5-star everything because they focused mainly on the subject matter and story and the fact it didn't bore them and then there's the snobs who really look into the book and are willing to give 1s, 2s and 3s.

i would HOPE my book is at least better than eragon which is why it would be nice if i could get some feedback on the book itself from here
Zilchexo
Zilchexo
Pedophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next